Being rather new to the whole blogging thing, I was kind of confused when I received a comment from Cruelty Free Me saying that she had nominated me for a Liebster Award. But after reading her post about it and then Googling the term, I discovered that it’s a way for new bloggers to give a boost to other new bloggers (or blogs with fewer than 200 followers), and with luck, get a boost themselves. Well, that’s pretty cool. So here I am, following the rules of the program. First, I have to answer the 11 questions posed to me.
1. Why did you start your blog?
My friends are always asking me for advice, and I have a lot of opinions, so a blog seemed like the obvious choice. Also, I’ve been unemployed since my husband and I moved to Washington, DC for his job, so blogging gives me something to do when I’m not looking for a job, cleaning the apartment, or stalking people on Facebook.
2. What percentage of your makeup stash is cruelty-free?
Hmm, without resorting to counting my beauty products and calculating the actual percentage (which I admit, I kind of want to do), I estimate that 75% is cruelty-free. I’d like it to be higher, but I do use several drugstore brands owned by global conglomerates who don’t care about humanity, just the bottom line.
3. What’s the first thing that you do when you wake up in the morning?
Put in some eye drops and think about what’s on my agenda for the day.
4. Heels or flats?
Both. Flats for shopping, running errands, or outings that involve walking more than 3 miles roundtrip. Heels for fancy outings, or those requiring less than 3 miles roundtrip. Living in a city is not heel-friendly.
6. What’s your favorite skin care brand?
Probably Burt’s Bees. I love pretty much everything they make. I’m currently using their body wash, face scrub, night cream, body lotion, and lip balm. They’re natural, organic, cruelty-free, and environmentally friendly.
7. How many hours a week do you spend blogging?
Hard to say. On average, I probably spend about two hours on each post, and most weeks I only post once.
8. What TV shows are you currently watching?
Too many. Seriously. My husband and I don’t have kids, so we have our evenings free. We watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report during dinner. We also watch Person of Interest, Grimm, Bones, The Mentalist, Castle, House of Cards, Game of Thrones, Homeland, The Newsroom, How I Met Your Mother (only three episodes left), New Girl, Cougar Town, Modern Family, Franklin & Bash, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and Sherlock. I said it was a lot. Obviously we DVR everything and watch it at our leisure.
9. Morning or night, and why?
Morning, but not early morning. I like the 10 am – 12 pm time. Probably because that’s when I drink my tea and read the internet.
10. Name two products that are always in your beauty routine.
I absolutely must have lip balm. I’m not partial to any particular brand, but it must be organic. And the other item is moisturizer for my face. If I had to travel with just one product, that would be it.
11. What celebrity’s makeup inspires you?
I can’t think of any celebrity whose makeup inspires me, but lately I’ve occasionally been wearing my eye makeup the way the character Kate Beckett wears hers on Castle.
11 Facts About Me
1. I’m a licensed attorney in California.
2. I eat dark chocolate and drink red wine almost every day.
3. I didn’t get married until I was 40.
4. I have four younger brothers, no sisters, and by the end of 2014 will have 10 nieces and nephews.
5. I’ve lived in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, North Carolina, California, and DC.
6. I’ve traveled to Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, France, Monaco, and Italy.
7. Champagne is my favorite beverage.
8. My naturally brown hair has also been black, burgundy, red, platinum blonde, blue, and purple.
9. I have a kitchen full of gadgets, but I don’t really like cooking.
10. I miss living in Los Angeles.
11. I went to law school at Duke but have never watched a Duke basketball game (and never will).
Blogs I Nominate for a Liebster Award
(To be honest, I don’t know how you’re supposed to tell how many followers a blog has. Not every platform makes it easy to tell. So I can’t say for sure that all of the blogs listed below have fewer than 200 followers. Also, because I write on a variety of topics, I chose blogs on a variety of topics.)
Technically I was supposed to list 11 blogs, but I’ve been working on this post for two weeks now, and I really need to just be done with it. And 7 is also a prime number, so I’m going with 7.
11 Questions for My Nominees
1. Why did you start blogging?
2. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
3. Which magazines do you read?
4. What’s your favorite cocktail?
5. Where was the best vacation you ever had?
6. What’s your favorite way to pamper yourself?
7. What was the last book you read?
8. What’s your favorite personal care product brand?
9. Name one thing (anything) you can’t live without.
10. Would you ever volunteer to colonize another planet?
11. Favorite Batman: Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, or Christian Bale?